Archives Latest news

Bawku: Reactivate Inter-ethnic Peace Committee- Woyongo

Former Upper East Regional Minister Mark Owen Wayongo is urging the Upper East Regional Security Council (REGSEC) and the Bawku Municipal Security Council (MUSEC) to reactivate the inter-ethnic peace committee he introduces in 2009 when similar ethnic conflict occurred between 2002 to 2013.

According to him, the only way to resolve the conflict in Bawku is through dialogue, hence it is prudent for REGSEC and MUSEC to reintroduce the inter-ethnic peace committee to enable them engage both parties.

The former Navrongo Central lawmaker made this call on Diamond FM Power Drive on Tuesday 12th January, 2022.

“The only way solving this problem is through dialogue. When I introduce the inter-ethnic peace committee, Mamprusi and Kusasi were talking. I engaged N’yab Nayiri a lot and things started to normalize. You just need to talk, because without talking you can’t solve that problem by the use of arms. You have to dialogue, and so I think that REGSEC should encourage the reintroduction of the inter-ethnic peace committee if it is no more existing”, he said.

“They should do a lot of talking with both parties. They should also engage the Nayiri more because he is a very important factor. Because the issue travel all the way to the Supreme Court, and for me it’s only dialogue. That is why I introduced the inter-ethnic peace committee and plead with REGSEC to revisit the committee”, he advised.

The former Defence Minister while, sharing his experience on the Bawku ethnic conflict, also described the recent disturbances in the area as unfortunate, and call on government to fast-track the process to reduce the smuggling of small arms into the area.

“A lot of people have arms in Bawku and it is coming through our neighbouring countries Libiya, Burikina Faso, Togo, and Mali and something need to be done about it. Either than that very soon everybody in the area will start carrying arms which is not healthy for our security”, he stated.

So far about eight people have lost their lives in the latest ethnic conflict in Bawku.

Meanwhile, the Upper East Regional Coordinating Council has banned the wearing of smock in Bawku in a bid to prevent criminals and unscrupulous persons from concealing weapons in them to harm people.

The Council said its decision stemmed from the fact that some unscrupulous beings were hiding arms and ammunition in smocks to attack residents.

8:00 pm to 6:00 am curfew has since been imposed on the Bawku Municipality after the latest ethnic conflict.

Curfews have become very common in Bawku for years as ethnic conflicts come up every now and then.

Story By: Alhassan Yakubu |www.diamondfmonline.com |Ghana

Related posts

Haruna Iddrissu and Prof Ocquaye resolve feud

Abdulai Majeed

19-year-old barber jailed for stealing plantains to take care of girlfriend

Abdul-Gafaru Abdulai

Ablakwa demands answers on GITMO2

Abdul-Gafaru Abdulai

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: