Sports

Vincenzo Montella: AC Milan sack coach & place Gennaro Gattuso in charge

 

AC Milan have sacked Vincenzo Montella as manager and placed Gennaro Gattuso in charge of the first team.

The club are seventh in Serie A on 20 points, 18 behind leaders Napoli, after a run of only two league victories in their past nine games.

They drew 0-0 with Torino at home on Sunday and have lost six of their 14 top-flight matches this season.

Gattuso, a former AC Milan midfielder, steps up from managing the club’s youth side.

The 39-year-old Italian played for Milan between 1999 and 2013, winning the Serie A title and the Champions League twice.

He will appear at a news conference at their Milanello training ground on Tuesday.

Following his sacking, Montella posted a statement on social media in which he said it had been an “honour” to have coached the side.

AC Milan, who have won the Italian title 18 times and are seven-time European champions, have not finished in the top three in Serie A since 2013.

They have spent £205m on new signings since Chinese businessman Li Yonghong took control in April last year.

“We are very grateful to Mr Montella and his staff for all the work done up to today, their commitment and professionalism,” said an AC Milan statement.

Related posts

GHANA MAKES IT THREE WINS OUT OF THREE IN GROUP PHASE

Abdulai Majeed

UDS WINS GOLD IN BOTH MEN AND WOMEN SOCCER AT THE MINI GUSA GAMES IN CAPE COAST

Abdulai Majeed

RTU BOARD DIVIDED OVER THE CHOICE OF A MANAGEMENT TEAM FOR NEXT SEASON

Abdulai Majeed

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: