Latest news

Seek relevant information on documentation before migrating to other countries – Experts caution potential migrants

Communications and Research Officer for the migrating out of poverty programme, Emmanuel Quarshie has admonished the public to seek accurate information relating to countries they want to migrate to before embarking on journeys.

According to him, information about the availability of jobs and needed skills, the rights and responsibilities of migrants and even where to seek redress could limit issues of human trafficking and exploitation.

Contributing to Diamond fms’ radio campaign on Migration and Free Movemnet of persons run by the Media Response and the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association, Emmanuel Quarshie lamented that, the lack of data on migration and human trafficking pose a major challenge to dealing with the issues.

Emmanuel Quarshie who is also the communication officer for the Center for Migration studies at the University of Ghana, however indicated that 70% of Ghanaians being trafficked were linked to force labour activities while the remaining 30% are for sexual exploitation.

General Secretary of the migrant labour General workers’ union, Justice Baako Ntarmah also contributing to the program said all migrants have rights to decent work and access to all social amenities in their host countries.

He said rights of migrants were non-negotiable due to the impact they make through integration and development of societies hence host countries must ensure their safety in accordance with the international laws on migration.

Mr. Ntramah also reiterated the earlier appeal to the public to seek the necessary documentation before migrating to other countries in order to ensure their safety in their host countries.

Related posts

Persons with Disability want laws on safe structures and access to healthcare, to work in their interest

yakubu alhassan

World Vision support conflict displaced victims seeking refuge at Nabuli in the Gushegu Area

yakubu alhassan

NDC has been left poorer by Alhaji Meijida’s death-Alban Bagbin

Abdulai Majeed

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: